Thursday, August 26, 2010

Oh my goodness

I keep walking around and saying, "holy crap I am in Iraq", because, holy crap I am in Iraq. I had fun in Istanbul, for the one day I got to go there. I went to Cemberlitas, which is a haman (Turkish bath). Oh, it was luxurious. They give you a pair of panties (which fit perfectly and so I brought them home with me!) and a sarong towel. You go into the hot room and you lay your sarong out and lay down on your stomach (keep in mind all you are wearing is panties) and a bath attendant comes (who is only wearing a bra and panties) and she scrubs you down. First is a loofah scrub and then a soapy scrub and then she takes you to one of the side sinks and you sit down and she washes your hair. I felt like a pampered princess. Then you get to go sit in the jacuzzi tub and then the cooling tub. After that you go back into the hot room and sit in a little alcove toasting your buns until your massage therapist comes. Then you lay down on a table in a room with six other tables and get a very thorough rub down. In a way it is weird that you are so completely naked and some stranger is touching you all over, but then at a certain point, probably because everyone else is so comfortable and so naked, you just accept it.

Let's recap: I had strangers touching me and looking at me and I was ok. I was running around a Turkish bath half naked and I was ok. Way out of my comfort zone and yet I was ok. All I could keep thinking was Kris would love this place.

I promise to update more on Iraq. I started a new blog called Single in Suly that I will invite you all too. Keep in mind that it will be people from work and possibly my mom, so save your naughty comments for here.

2 comments:

Dan said...

Kris needs to get a job in Turkey in a Turkish bath!

Dan said...

Crap! I created that name "lostinameica" but didn't like it and didn't even finalize it. but apparently, I am now lostinamerica. Dan