Friday, September 28, 2007

le television

First I have to say Poppy's operation was a success. He came through it just fine. My family is quite stubborn- I don't know if you ever noticed!

Last night was go home and veg on the couch night. I did manage to revamp an old brown velvet skirt. I went through a velvet skirt phase years ago and this particular skirt has seen me through many events, but it was past its time. I was no longer a long velvet skirt wearing girl. I was thinking about making it a shorter skirt but that just didn't do it for me and then I pulled it up to my armpits. You know that current fashion trend of tube tops over dress shirts, well I can kind of (at least in my head) pull it off. So, I trimmed the skirt and hemmed it and now I have a velvet sleeveless shirt. I also can wear it on its own with a very cute burgundy and pink short sweater a friend got me.

I never understood how they (you know they- magazines) always talk about how x percent of your wardrobe never gets worn, and now I finally understood it. I would pack this skirt away every spring for the last 3 years without having worn it. This year I said enough and tossed it in the mending pile. It has only taken 6 months for me to get around to actually doing something with it. I was just trying to prove that I was semi-productive last night while vegging on the couch.

I watched Ugly Betty while making dinner and putzing about the house. Then I watched Grey's Anatomy and McDreamy's insight into Meredith just about made me cry. Who am I kidding my mascara was running. Next was Big Shot and I debated turning it off but it had Christopher Titus in it who's previous show I thoroughly enjoyed and Dylan McDermott. I mean how could I not watch Dylan. This show is horrible. It may be because we have been discussing race and gender in the last couple of weeks in my class but there were some glaring problems. The first I noticed was race and while I understand the society they are portraying is historically white I was insulted by their treatment of characters of color. The first is an interaction with Titus and Hector the server and Titus is begging Hector for some shrimp and it is almost as if they are friends. I just didn't find it believable at all. Right because the rich white guy and Hector are home boys. The next is the prostitute who is a black tranny. The other prostitute later in the show is Hispanic. There is one token African American woman who is on par with one of the characters at work, well until he gets promoted.

My big problem was with the portrayal of men and women. If these are my options of men to date then I'm going to be single for a very long time. Women are either whores (literally), or adulterers, or shrews. While it is a big to do when one of the wives cheats on her husband we are supposed to laugh at the antics of one of the husbands who has a mistress who has become his wife's new friend. Titus' wife is some shrewish witch but you never see her. She is completely absent and we only hear his responses to her either through conversations with the 'boys' or his side of the telephone conversation. There is room to do so much and see men's side of this crazy world but not like this. I admit it has to be hard to be a man today with all of the conflicting images. On one hand they are supposed to be strong and manly and yet we expect them to tell us about their feelings. Women expect men to wash the dishes and yet get pissed off if a man holds a door open for them. Roles have changed so much over the last 50 years and that does cause some strain, then show me that, don't show me the good old boys, because that is outdated.

No comments: