Thursday, November 13, 2008

Merrily merrily merrily

I am tired, but in a good way. The pool was closed at our normal gym at Pipers Alley, so Gym-buddy and I went to the gym up by Target on Western. There was no way I was going to be able to climb up on a treadmill yesterday because my knee is bunk. The Western gym was about the same as far as size and amenities, but it was definitely a different mix of people. It felt good to get in the pool and I was able to do just shy of a mile in half an hour, but it was hard. I know that I've gotten better in the pool, but I still feel like I am so slow. One of the benefits of getting in the pool is being able to sit in the whirlpool for a bit afterwards. Purely for medicinal purposes.

I also did yoga yesterday. One of the guys at work is teaching a yoga and meditation class over lunch time. It is a good class, but he talks too much in the final meditation. I like a little bit of guided imagery, but then he keeps talking and I get distracted. I'm not sure if that is because he actually is distracting, or because my natural inclination towards control means my mind wants to go where it wants to go. There were a couple of poses I was not able to do because of my knee, but overall it felt good. I did not feel too guilty for swimming for half an hour since I'd also done yoga.

I have an appointment with my physical therapist next Wednesday to get my knee back on track. Yesterday I could barely make it up and down the stairs. I saw her about three years ago and I was thinking about how much has changed in that time period. When I went to see her last time I could barely walk on a treadmill, let alone do the exercises she gave me. By the end of our sessions I did feel a lot better. I think this time around it will probably take less time to get back into fighting shape.

All week I've been making a concerted effort to eat healthier. That coupled with exercising is definitely helping me get out of my physical and emotional funk. I'm going to do yoga in the chapel tonight and then go home and crash out on the couch to watch tv. I did not want you to think that I was a complete goody goody. I'll probably stop and get a chocolate bar on the way home. One of the Vosges chocolates, either the Tibetan goji berries with pink Himalayan salt in a deep milk chocolate or the Mexican ancho and chipotle chillies with cinnamon in dark chocolate. Mmmm.

No comments: