I've had many many thoughts this month. Along with many challenges. First for the good- I managed to beat the number on the scale into submission. Take that you big scary number that was just a giant mind-f*ck in my brain. I made a purse for a birthday present. I made a shirt out of the beautiful liberty fabric I got the summer before last in London. It is the only floral item in my whole closet and I adore it. I got an A- on my mid-term that I thought I failed and I got a B+ on my homework even though I had no clue what I was doing.
I am going to make a concerted effort to do what I want to do in my life. I read an article lately that compared our lives to technological creep, or what happens when a project gets too bloated. It suggested you take out a clean sheet of paper and only write on it the things that make you happy. That is what you allow in your life. I am clearing the plate to do what I love. I will only invest time or energy into people who add a little something special to my life (if you are reading this, then you are one of the special people) and projects that make me happy. That is much more difficult then it sounds. Sometimes it is really hard to say no. I'm practicing...sitting here alone...practicing saying no.
My challenge to not buy new is going well. I did make an exception for occasional books on the kindle. I always read something relatively light and fluffy before I go to bed. I found that I was staying up past midnight either watching tv on the laptop or reading crafty blogs because I ran out of fluff. Changing my routine because I was no longer allowed to buy books was wreaking havoc on my well-being. With that said if anyone has a pile of cheesy romance novels they need to get rid of send them my way! I also bought a couple of new pairs of tights. I did need two of the pairs. Did I need the ruffled panties, probably not, but they were cute. I am allowing myself one small splurge item each pay check to keep the shopping ghouls at bay. I have a couple of things I've been eyeing on etsy for a long while. I even had a dream the other night that I was at a mall and I felt guilty for buying new stuff. I don't even shop at malls. I did not shop very often, but it is amazing how cutting out purchasing new items makes me feel a little anxious.
Happy Halloween all you little ghouls!
3 comments:
Yeah, I am special!
Have you thought of the library? Not that I want you to stop buying books, but you can get "free" fluff at CPL.
Such an amazing undertaking. Good luck saying no!
Loved this entry! Perfect philosophy, hope you've been able to keep it up?
And I want to see a picture of your gorgeous Liberty shirt!!!
xx
Post a Comment