Friday, December 11, 2009

Stepping back up

Ok, so I don't mean to be all soap boxy lately, but here I go again.
According to the Clean Air Council (link is to a different article-you might need to zoom) Americans produce an extra four million tons of waste in the form of wrapping paper and shopping bags during the holiday season. That's over 200 elephants worth of garbage. Ironically I stopped buying wrapping paper about fifteen years ago because I was broke. Now it has just become habit. Over the year I save the butcher paper that the farmers market flowers are wrapped in, stray bits of twine, tissue paper and small brown shopping bags and I use them as wrapping paper. I don't give many big presents, so it isn't difficult for me to do. Some years I get creative (potato stamps anyone), but some years I just wrap and scribble the name (illegibly of course) on the present. I think the only thing I buy wrapping paper for anymore are wedding presents and that is usually because I am going in on a gift with other people who tend not to share my brown paper bag aesthetic! I do not recommend sprinkling your homemade wrapping paper with glitter. It looks pretty but it makes a pretty big mess. Not that I ever did that.

I have a great little bag that folds up really small that Kris gave me. I try to carry it with me when I'm running errands. I don't always remember and if the item is too big to tuck in my purse I'll take a shopping bag. Of course I just now thought of a great xmas present gift (little shopping bags for all!) but I probably won't have time to make them.

I know the holiday season gets really hectic for some people. I've been doing my best over the years to keep it relatively low key. This year I'm making presents and I decided if it doesn't get done, it doesn't get done in time. I'll wrap the materials and make it when I have more time. I guess what I'm trying to say is that even the littlest change can make a big difference. Now I feel like I should go live in a yurt somewhere and live off the grid, but I love running water and flushing toilets way too much ;)

1 comment:

Cora and CW said...

Love your philosophy yet again!

I wanted so badly to make some totes this year for people for their groceries and whatever! Just need a sewing machine -- soon... patience will be rewarded