I have a list of books that I want to read in an excel spreadsheet. Yes, I know, a spreadsheet, but I found it was the easiest way to keep track of what I have read. Lately, I have been reading haphazardly whatever comes my way. That means I stumble across some gems, but it also means that I occasionally read some real duds. I needed some new reading material and since I am not allowed to buy any new books I turned to the library. I also managed to get one of my textbooks for school from the library. I just hope it makes it in time to read the hundreds of pages due for next week.
I had put Rose in Bloom by Louisa May Alcott on my list and I looked it up on Amazon to find out what it was about. I found it free for my Kindle (I heart my Kindle). Amazon let me know that they had delivered it to my Kindle via 'Whispernet'. Seriously. If you stop and think about the name Amazon, and even Kindle, and what those words mean, whoever came up with those as brand names was a genious. Then you get whispernet, which sounds mildly pornographic.
I also picked up some cheesy romance novels at the thrift store on Saturday. Yes, I know, I have a problem. Anywho- I picked up a modern romance called Being Elizabeth, which I do not normally do, but for $.79 I figured why not. I'm reading along and then I realize that someone has taken the history of Queen Elizabeth I and just rewritten it as a modern day inheritence of a corporation instead of a country. The best part was that they barely changed the names of the players. Instead of Robert Dudley, a close friend and confidant of the Queen, the character's name is Robert Dunley. Come to think of it they should just make Being Elizabeth into a naughty movie, at least it would be more entertaining.
5 comments:
I just went to the library in my hometown and they had a book case of books for sale. The price...$1.00 a bag! I bought 11 books, 1 of which I've been looking for for years. 11 books (mostly hardcover) for $1. I was in heaven!
Next time you are here - empty suitcase + London book stalls / markets = heaven
:-)
You want books? I can always ship you some via media mail ... I just had to box some up and put them in my storage locker because they wouldn't fit on my shelves. And more are coming because I've got a book list to complete. I'd be happy to temporarily relocate some of the others to Chicago!
$1. That's just ridiculous.
Thanks Cora. I can barely fit everything in my suitcase as it is :)
I might take you up on that offer Pat! Maybe I'll just bring an extra suitcase and come to visit-when it gets warmer.
Have you ever heard of http://www.goodreads.com/?
My sister-in-law just mentioned it, and has a little widget on her blog now showing what she's reading...
Post a Comment