Sunday, August 28, 2011

Follow my logic

This may only make sense to me, but in the long run my crazy ideas have created a pocket of joy for me. My living room has never been finished. By that I mean it does not have my personal touch stamped on it. I decided to fix this and made a few changes. One big change was to get a new rug. I had been thinking about getting a new rug, because I had steam cleaned the old rug and it was still dirty after much strenuous scrubbing. Plus it never dried all the way and it was getting stanky. I did not mean to, but I found a beautiful old Turkish rug at a store on Belmont in Roscoe Village. If anyone is interested in Turkish rugs I highly recommend Yoruk Rug Gallery and Mete the owner is so patient and willing to find the right rug. He met my needs as far as size, color and prize, even though it meant searching through stacks of rugs. Plus he gave me a good price without a big fight.

The entertainment center had been a compromise between ex-boy and I. I like it, or else I would not have bought it, but it is not my first choice. The tv and the entertainment center stick out like a sore thumb and I wanted them to blend into the room. I painted the wall that they are against in grey and that made a huge change as to the feeling of the room. The entertainment center still needed something to fill the empty section and also warm it up. That was when I decided I had to have a record player. I found one on etsy that had warm wood tones and had it shipped to my house.

While I was visiting Ivy and her owner in St. Paul we (my friend, not the cat Ivy) went wandering through some antique stores and I found some records. My first record purchases included albums by Tom Waits, Johnny Cash, Lorettta Lynn singing Patsy Cline and Doris Day. I also bought 'Oklahoma', because really- you have to have 'Oklahoma'. Today I went with some friends to the antique market in Chicago and found some more albums. Today's catch includes a Polish album of national songs (I mean how could I not. The art work alone on this album alone was worth the two dollars), an old compilation album from the sixties, 'Camelot' and 'Jaques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris'. At that point some of you may be saying 'huh?'. It was an album that I had listened to quite a few times, and by quite a few I mean I know all of the lyrics, in high school. Kindis had an eclectic collection of music and some of it, as much as he would not want to admit it, was influenced by the music his parents listened to.

The day the record player (or turntable as kids are calling them these days) showed up I thought it would be really neat to be able to listen to Jaques Brel. I remember the care with which Kindis treated the album. He'd take it out of the record sleeve, blow off any specks of dust and then gingerly lay it on the turntable. When I was a freshman in high school Kindis and I went and saw Jaques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris' at the Royal George Theater on Halsted. To find this album made me remember some happy moments in time. Now I just need to get a stereo so I can plug in the album.

1 comment:

Pat said...

It's a testament to the power of music that simply owning the album can bring back so many powerful positive feelings - and this before you've ever played it!