When the Occupy Wall Street movement started I thought to myself, finally. Finally someone was speaking out against the mass profit that is being made off of the backs of hard-working Americans. Except, that isn't how it went. Instead the message was diluted and changed and shifted until people had no idea what the point was.
I will admit I have a soft spot for NATO. It is true that they have screwed up royally at times. It is also true that they should work hand in hand with the UN, and they have not always done that. I feel though that they have learned from their mistakes and the action taken in Libya shows that. I was hearing that the protestors were a bit out of control downtown today and so I was looking for some news updates and I came across an article in Reuters about the protests. This comment sums up my problem with the NATO protests. In the article a "young man in a skull mask and black hoodie, who gave his name as Damien"...said "We're here because we're sick of Wall Street profiting off the wars that NATO starts." Um, wha? Part of that statement is true, people on Wall Street do profit from war, except I would like to point out that in general it isn't NATO that starts the wars. In fact, in the case of Libya, NATO intervened when the Libyan people asked them to.
Before protesting it might be helpful to know the facts and have a valid and succinct argument. Just a thought.
No comments:
Post a Comment