I now understand why I was met occasionally with anger when I told people I was moving to Iraq. While my friends and family were understanding and trying to be supportive they did not want me to leave.
In the days leading up to my departure I was busy with packing, cleaning up the apartment and starting a new job. I was packing away my life and putting everything on hold. I was also busy meeting people individually and then in groups to say goodbye. In looking forward to my new adventure I was finding it hard to pay attention to saying goodbye.
I am now the person who is being left behind and oh my goodness does it suck. My friend Barry is off to an amazing job and opportunity in Doha, Qatar. I wish him all the best, but at the same time I don't want him to go. I am also a) jealous because his expat experience is going to be way different and probably better then mine. War torn country with no shopping or electricity vs. a modern city in the Middle East and b) I want to go with him.
In the days leading up to my departure I was busy with packing, cleaning up the apartment and starting a new job. I was packing away my life and putting everything on hold. I was also busy meeting people individually and then in groups to say goodbye. In looking forward to my new adventure I was finding it hard to pay attention to saying goodbye.
I am now the person who is being left behind and oh my goodness does it suck. My friend Barry is off to an amazing job and opportunity in Doha, Qatar. I wish him all the best, but at the same time I don't want him to go. I am also a) jealous because his expat experience is going to be way different and probably better then mine. War torn country with no shopping or electricity vs. a modern city in the Middle East and b) I want to go with him.
No comments:
Post a Comment