Wednesday, September 06, 2006

It's been so long...

The title is from a song my old roommate wrote. Boy does that bring back memories. I don't think I'll walk down that lane tonight!

It has been a long and summer with a lot of fun and a lot of work. I think instead of recapping the summer I will just forge ahead. Labor day weekend was long and relaxing. S was off sailing for the weekend and so it was just Little Kitty and I. Every person I made plans with cancelled on me, but I was able to meet up with another friend and go shopping. We went to Vive la Femme on Damen close to our house because they said in their weekly email that they had a white shirt with no boob gappage (A shirt could fit perfectly, even be a bit loose, but there will always be gappage- you try having a romantic moment when you have to stop and say, "Oh wait honey, that's pinned", when someone is trying to unbotton your shirt). Now anyone who knows me knows I have a thing for white shirts. I think in my mind it makes me look like a sex touseled vixen, except I do usually wear bottoms when I go out in the world. Sadly the shirt was too short but I found a black boat necked shirt for the fall.

I have started sewing again and I am not allowed to start any new projects (or buy any new fabric) until I finish the old. I finally restructured a long brown taffeta skirt, that I bought probably 8 years ago into a shorter skirt. When I bought the skirt it was too small in the waist and the ensuing years didn't change that.

I had sewn two wide bands of silk (the organic rough kind- that I can't remember what it is called) onto a beige twin sheet at our old apartment to make curtains. We did not need them in the new apartment so I finally took off the silk, folded it in half, and turned it into a scarf. Voila.

All of this sewing has been done by hand because my sewing machine is in the shop. It is my mother's old sewing machine that I borrowed 13 years ago and never returned. I think she finally went out and bought another one. I had taken it in last year to get a tune up and didn't look at it until recently. Now there is some problem with the bobbin and the thread breaks after a couple of stiches. The sewing machine guy called with an estimate and told me I needed a real good tuneup- um isn't that what they did last year. Unfortunately they only have a 30 day warranty so I am getting another tune up and I will be certain to test the machine when I get home. It probably cost me almost as much as getting a new cheap machine, but this one has lasted this long without any previous problems and it seems completely wasteful to chuck it for a cheap floozy model.

The rest of my sewing for the week will be mending a huge pile of clothes. There are clothes in there that I thought lost. I guess it is a good thing I opened up the bag.

I am almost done with Week Six of Apartment Therapy. I started Week Five about two months ago, but then I went to Seattle, came home, did summer school (which just about did me in), and now I'm in full on fall nesting mode. This week was thoroughly cleaning and decluttering the bathroom. Luckily it didn't take me too long, but I still have a few things left to do like buy a new shower curtain, I'm supposed to buy nice bath salts (oh that will be a hardship for me :)) and put a candle in the bathroom. I kind of want to get those lights that you can stick on the wall and are battery powered for in the bathtub. It is sometimes a serious pain to bring a bunch of candles in and light them all. Next week is the bedroom, which isn't too cluttered, but I think there is another cat living under our bed that we didn't know about!

No comments: