Monday, October 09, 2006

Bringing in the harvest

I love fall. I love pumpkins, squash, apples, pears, sweet potatoes and the last of what summer has to offer up. We went to the farmers market on Sunday and I got butternut squash, sweet potatoes, and 2 small pumpkins. I went home and while S went off to visit his sister and play video games (I started trying to pack up projects to bring with and then sent him off on his own) I made butternut squash soup, cooked two pumpkins, and roasted pumpkin seeds. The soup was tasty, nothing exceptional, but when you add the garlic Parmesan cheese croutons it was really good! Even though I put another baking sheet under the pumpkins I still managed to get juice all over the bottom of the stove. With two small pumpkins I got enough 'guts' to make the pie for Thanksgiving. I use the moosewood cookbook recipe every year and every year it tastes just right. I didn't know that you were supposed to use the hard part of the pumpkin, and I used to use the stringy center- and it must have been that recipe because no body ever knew. I'm not sure how I didn't know which part was supposed to be used. I still used the hard part of the pumpkin for a feta-pumpkin casserole from vegi-times.

Saturday I went and visited a friend and did homework. It means taking the North avenue bus to the redline. I do not like the North avenue bus, but I do like this friend. On the way home I got off the redline at Belmont and took the Halsted bus to Quiltology because I want pinking shears. They didn't have them. They did have freezer paper, a ruler (which I needed), and 1/4 yards of Amy Butler fabric already cut (which I did not need). I would go back there for fabric, but not for tools. Then I had to take the Halsted bus to the North avenue bus home. It took me 3 hours to run a 15 minute errand. I told S that next time he just has to drive me.

I stayed up late Friday night reading The Other Boleyn Sister. S came out in the middle of the night and turned the light off on me because he thought I had fallen asleep. Good thing he did because it was 1:30 in the morning and I was tired. This time period interests me especially since I was a fellow at the Newberry Library for a history/English class about Queen Elizabeth I. I wrote a paper about cross-dressing women in the Renaissance and I focused on real women in history, not characters in Shakespeare's plays. I've realized lately how much that class influences the way I go about reading literature and I am sure it will influence the way I teach.

I finally finished a purse that I made using some old barkcloth fabric I had. I even put a pocket in the middle. This purse has a couple of issues, but I'll do better on the next one:


Blogger isn' t cooperating so this is the only picture I can upload.

I was sewing and doing some embroidery work while watching disc 5 of season 1 of Carnivale. Wow was there a lot going on. There was a scene between Jones and Rita Sue in an outdoor shower that was shot beautifully. I was just amazed that they showed a real woman au naturale and it did not detract from the scene at all. Now if I could only learn to see myself in that light.

Do you ever feel like your desires are just not there? Sometimes I can sense I have desire, but it is like I am standing in a soundproof room and I can't hear anything. I should be grateful that S is willing to go out and get me a pair of headphones!

2 comments:

Carey said...

I forgot to ask if you suscribe to the Daily Candy emails? They have one geared towards Chicago that talks about new restaurants and shops. www.dailycandy.com

Kandy Christensen said...

I do subscribe. There are so many different places to try that I can't keep up! A lot of the shops seem to be opening up in my neighborhood. Thanks for the suggestion.