I was late to work yesterday because I dumped the big bowl of soup I had made on Sunday all over the kitchen floor. Luckily I had frozen half of it so I didn't lose it all. I admit I cried. The crying probably could be attributed to really not wanting to go to work and because I was upset I had gotten a B on a paper for my class. I don't mean to sound pretentious, but I just don't get B's. I had written this paper, workshopped it and revised it. Still a B. In fact she said the paper was better before I incorporated the edits from the workshop. Great.
I had written about how I learned how to spead read when I was in sixth grade and I felt that skill made it difficult for me to remember details. People who know me are probably scoffing because I also don't remember things told to me! She wrote in her comments that his could possibly be due to a learning disability interfering. Um- hello, could you clarify. That put me in a bit of a dither because what if it was true?! Luckily I spoke with a friend who is a teacher who has her own learning disability (that you wouldn't ever know about if she didn't tell you) and she said that people who are very bright learn to compensate in ways so other people don't notice it. That makes sense to me. I think the only reason I would be interested in learning if I had a disability would be to figure out ways to get around it so it would not have such an impact. I get very frustrated with my inability to remember information and I do stutter over some words because I can't remember the word. Yesterday I had an umbrella in my hand and could not remember the word umbrella. I'm sure this happens to other people, but I do it all the time!
I have to go steal the work copy machine so I can enlarge the templates to make the "Hop Skip & A Jump" Quilt from Denyse Schmidt's book Quilts. This book is inspiring. Gradually I'm gathering up the materials to make a quilt for our bedroom. I still have to find pinking shears. I am making the quilt with these fabrics, Turquoise II, and it has a lot of white strips as well. I may keep the pink printed pieces, but I don't know if I will include the hot pink. If I do it will be only a little bit. I have to get everything cut though so I know if I need to buy more fabric! I'm off to copy.
No comments:
Post a Comment