I did dance all night. This city and the people are just amazing. And the men. Dios mios. The men. We started out pretty early at one club and at first it was just the students and some of the students from the Madrid University. Then other people came pouring in around midnight. There was some dancing, but we were still kind of clumped together as a group. The decision was made to head to the next club around the corner, Limon. By that point I had a couple of drinks in me and they pour stiff drinks in Madrid. I was dancing mainly with the girls, but then at some point in the evening there was a shift and our group dispersed throughout the crowd. I danced with Antonio, our coordinator here, and it was like a roller coaster ride. He kept spinning me around and just moving me. To dance with someone who knows how to dance is fun. To dance with someone who can make his partner dance is sublime. I kept flitting from group to group. At some point I was dancing with this big tall guy who was a friend of Antonio's. There was some other guy flirting with me, but one of the students, Mundo, came by and I followed him into the crowd. Mundo is a big sweetheart of a guy who kept an eye out on everyone all night.
I just kept dancing. At that point it was about the music. I remember a Shakira song came on and I just felt myself start to shimmy and snap my hips. Those belly dancing lessons paid off. Then a friend of the big guy I had been dancing with comes up and dances with me. He's got me in this embrace and we're moving with the music. He spins me and I just feel these subtle nudges from him and I know which way to move. Then he's kissing me and we are dancing at the same time. He keeps kissing me and one part of my mind is going- um, students around, and the other part has just let go. Then I'm being rounded up. I get another kiss and a buenos noches and then Mundo is sheperding us all out the door. It probably is good I got rounded up.
Then one of the other students had heard about a club and wanted to go. We started walking to get a cab at a main street and I'm talking to the student and I have my arm linked in his. He said he planned on staying out all night and I said that was fine. It was kind of like the night with Kindis and I just felt reckless and free. By that point in the evening we were down from 40 people to 6. We pile in a couple of cabs and head to the club. This one looks chic. There's a carpet and a velvet rope out front. We saw them deny entrance to a guy in a polo shirt and shorts. For a moment I was worried, but we got in. This was a different crowd. A much better dressed and elite crowd. The music was fantastic. By the time we walked in the door there were only four of us. I started dancing and I realized at one point that it was just me and the student.
I completely cut lose and all of the girls at this club are so worried about their pretty dresses that they were barely swaying with the music. For a moment walking in I thought to myself that I don't fit in and I don't belong here, but I pushed that thought aside. The music was trance-like and I was just moving. I was drenched in sweat and I did not care. Some of the girls around me are kind of dancing with me and I see them loosen up and mimic some of the things I'm doing. They are smiling at me and I smile back. The student goes to get a drink and some guy comes over and is flirting with me. We are at a communication impasse though and he walks away. I turn and the student is there and we start dancing again. He's got his arms around me and we're dancing close and I'm pretty darn sure he wanted to kiss me, but I was so not going there.
The lights come up and we're shocked. We wander out into the street and I start laughing because the sun is up. We wander looking for a taxi and stumble across a metro, which is actually easier because I don't have the directions and the taxi's don't always know where they are going outside of Madrid. We walk into the station and in front of the map is a couple making out. I kind of duck around them to read the map because I had to. They were super sweet and helped us on our way. We get back to the dorms and he gives me a hug and again I just sense he wants to kiss me, but I duck it and go back to my room.
I do not think I have felt so desirable. I think part of it was my attitude because I just threw myself whole heartedly into the evening and danced. The other part of it though was the men in this city. They appraise women and while that glance sometimes freaks me out, when it is directed your way you can't help but feel sexy under such a gaze.
No comments:
Post a Comment