Spain won the Euro cup tonight. We stopped off at a couple of stores to buy some appropriate jerseys. We walked past a shop that I have been by at least three times by the Plaza Mayor. There was this dress in the window that I adore. It stopped me in my tracks every time. I looked and saw that the price had been halfed. I walked down to the next store with the group and then I said I had to try it on. Amazingly it fit. In fact when I asked to try it on the woman looked at me, looked at the dress, kind of shook her head, but said 'si'. It is almost ridiculously frilly and feminine and I love it. Everyone here wears skirts and the look is so feminine, fresh and breezy.
We then went to the Plaza Collon, where they were showing the game on big screens and it was a sea of red and yellow. We got seperated from the big group, which ended up being a blessing in disguise because three of us girls were just not into sitting in the sun and getting baked. We went to Puerta de la Sol and wandered a ways until we found a narrow street filled with little restaurants. We found one that was showing the game and parked ourselves outside and ordered some tapas and sangria. This whole trip we have been joking that what happens in Villaviciosa, stays in Villaviciosa. The name of the town translates into village of vice. We've decided that applies to Madrid as well. I ate a bite of meat today for the taste of it. It's Jamon Iberico. You know I already have a fondness for bacon and this stuff you can only get in Spain. I figured I should try it. And it was good. Not good enough for me to toss being a vegetarian out the window, but I'm glad I tried it.
Watching the game was so fun. From our restaurant we could hear the whole city cheer and groan. When the game ended, and Spain had won, the hair on the back of my arms and neck stood on end because I felt the whole city erupt. I don't even think it would be the same feeling if the Cubs were to finally win a world series. I think the Cubs, Sox, Bulls and Bears would have to win a game on the exact same night for there to be such a sense of euphoria in Chicago.
We wandered around the city for a bit because you just could not go home while everyone was celebrating. Finally though, we were tired and we headed back to our little town of vice. The kids on the bus were singing and singing and singing. They would come by and talk to us and one kid misunderstood us and said 'Allemagne', and we were all saying, 'no no, Estad Unidos'. I think if I was German I would not have admitted it tonight! The kid was asking us questions and finally my friend Kristen said, "Vive Espana" and all was right with the world. As he was leaving he stopped and she said again "Vive Espana" and he gave her a high five. The main street in Villeviciosa was blocked off and the bus had to do a 3 point turn around the tiniest roundabout. We applauded when he made it. Luckily the bus took us to the University and we tripped home feeling a little bit more Spanish.
No comments:
Post a Comment