Wednesday, August 13, 2008

There's a change in the weather...

It is incredible how certain things become a part of your identity. The scar over my left eyebrow (almost hidden now by waxing!), the freckles on my nose in the summer, the scars on my left leg, the scar on my... I could probably go on listing scars indefinitely. The point is that those bits and pieces make up our identity. I was challenged recently by a very dear friend about my identity. She pointed out that I hide behind my glasses. In fact, my glasses are an extension of me. Besides the fact that I can't see without them, they are constantly on my face. So, I went to see the eye doctor today and I got contacts.

Within five minutes of returning from the doctor's office flirty boy walked in and said who is this without their glasses. All throughout the day people would look twice at me. I look in the mirror and I'm surprised to see, well, me. I realized that I really do have beautiful eyes.

I'm still trying to get used to them and I will not be wearing them on a daily basis. Yet, when I want to go out, or have a different look, I can wear my contacts. Granted I'll still be trying to push up my glasses.

No comments: