I've taken the Arabic phrase wahida-wahida (little by little) as my own personal mantra lately. Sark calls them micro-movements in one of her books. Sometimes looking at the whole can be so overwhelming that you freeze in fear and do not even start. I miss being crafty, my own little outlet for creativity. In order to squeeze some crafty time in I've started making my own little micromovements. I want to make a dress from an Amy Butler pattern . I found some fabulous fabric for the main part of the dress that has octopi on it. Octopi! The belt and trim work on the sleeve are the same fabric pattern in orange.
I've had the fabric for two months now. I did manage to wash it, but that was it. I decided this week to at least cut out the pattern. Then I managed to cut the fabric. The pattern is helping dictate my micromovements because step one was cut the pattern. Step two-three was cut the fabric. Tonight I'm hoping to make the belt loop and complete step four. It will be mass insanity if I manage to do step five and make the belt.
Every pattern tells you to read the instructions and re-read the instructions. Well, I read them, but I forgot to re-read them. Luckily I only put the fabric marks on the wrong side of the fabric and it is not irreparable damage. It was a good reminder though that I need to pay attention to what I am doing. I think doing it step by step will help. Sometimes when I'm sewing I sit at it for too long because I want the final product, but then I rush and make mistakes. Doing it slowly and having faith that I will get to the end will help.
It is easy to get frightened off or simply procrastinate when there is something that has to be done. Looking at the pieces instead of the whole makes it possible and wahida-wahida it is done.
No comments:
Post a Comment