I adore Chanel. I only wish I could be nearly as well put together as she was. The bottom line is I can't and I am learning to embrace that. My shirt will never be properly ironed (even when I pull out the bloody 20 pound ironing board and try to iron it), my hair will never lay flat, my nail polish will inevitably be chipped and my shoes will be scuffed. C'est la vie. Thankfully my sense of fashion has changed from torn black tights, jean shorts and docs into whatever it is today. I adore accessories. Purses, shoes, jewelry and scarves are not dictated by size and they do not need to fit. I think I started putting more effort into those things when clothes were so bleh (hello-have you shopped at lane bryant). Right now I am longing for new clothes, but I am not allowing myself to buy any until I lose a bit more weight. I've got a ton of clothes hanging in the closet thanks to hand me downs and old navy, so I have plenty of clothes. I no longer want potato chips- I want lobster. So, in the meantime I accessorize and dream about the dresses I will wear sometime soon.
Coco Chanel said, "When accessorizing, always take off the last thing you put on." I put on one more.
2 comments:
I hear you on never quite feeling fully put together...it's the story of my life! And here I'm feeling like quite the sloppy dresser. The women here are always done up when they go out - very little in the way of casual!
(Luckily, here you can send your ironing out for very cheap and have it delivered to your house. Perhaps we need more of that kind of service in the U.S.!)
Send out your ironing and have it delivered. Be still my beating heart. I come from a family that irons creases in their jeans. Thankfully that compulsion skipped me.
They are done up because it costs about 10 dollars to get hair straightened, legs waxed, bangs trimmed and a mani-pedi. We are just not used to such extravagance!
Post a Comment