I keep having these moments in my life that are just perfect encapsulated happy moments. Like dinner last Friday night with Dan and Barry at Osterio via Stato, which according to babble fish means Tavern via State. I had an amazing dinner with wonderful company. I was pleasantly stuffed to the gills and not fretting about it, even though I gained two pounds. Then I had a great time at a friends birthday party on Saturday. I spent Sunday in bed which is always enjoyable.
Then I go to the doctor Monday and find out I may or may not have some virus and he gives me antibiotics and cough syrup with codeine, so now I'm legally drugged up. I go to work and I get yelled at for a situation that isn't even my creating. I talked with a coworker about it and he said, well why didn't you walk away. I sat there and spluttered and finally I realized he was right. If someone is treating me in a manner that is unacceptable then I don't have to accept it. If someone is being out of line and crazy then really the only logical response is to walk away instead of trying to engage. When I do engage I find myself at their level and that is just not pretty. I haven't had 10 years of therapy to revert to being a two year old.
Last night I saw The Trip to Bountiful at the Goodman theater and it was a beautiful play. I don't want to say anything else to ruin it for anyone, but it is definitely worth seeing. At the end the audience gave Lois Smith a standing ovation, which she deserved*. I found myself choking up then because I felt like I was seeing a moment in history. Her performance was so moving and the play is like a slice of apple pie.
I have not heard from the professor (no longer my). I am kind of guessing that things are done even before they have begun.
I ran across this post and I'm going to try to smile at people today, even though I'd prefer not to.
http://www.backinskinnyjeans.com/2008/03/two-tiny-chan-1.html
*I hate the standing ovations that go on and on for no reason. I often don't stand. I think a standing ovation is the highest honor and, kind of like giving kids ribbons for losing, it loses its meaning when it is given to everyone. Granted anything I ever do should receive a standing ovation.
No comments:
Post a Comment