Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Pity party for one

I got home today and I was so looking forward to sitting on the couch and watching Battlestar Galactica (seriously addicted). I really needed to wash some clothes so I threw a load in the basement and headed back up the stairs to open the door to my locked apartment. I did not have my keys. Normally I have all of the keys on one ring because I lock myself out-all the time. Today my sometime house guest needed to get into the basement and so I took the keys off my ring. Those are the keys I grabbed. The ones not attached to house keys. I freak out for a minute, or two, ok, three. Then I start knocking on neighbors doors. No one was home on my side, but then I went down through the basement and heard someone heading up the stairs. I called hello. Poor girl probably thought she was being stalked by a ghost. She lent me her laptop because no one these days has a phone book. I also had no shoes on and no cell phone. Luckily I have some phone numbers in my yahoo address book, but not all of them. Unfortunately for me, no one was home.

At that point I didn't want to hang out on this poor girls couch all night, so I called a locksmith. Of course, Kristi pointed out I could have come to their house to hang out for a while and wait for the people who had my keys to come home. Hey, that was a smart plan. I didn't think of it. $200 later I am in the house. For $200 I could have bought another pair of kick butt shoes.

Now I'm feeling low. Now I'm all woe is me. (I hadn't yet read your lovely comments). I was feeling like there had to be something else bad to yet get dumped on my head this week. I mean seriously. Plus since I had gone downstairs and come back in the apartment LK determined it was time to be fed, again. You try explaining to my deaf senile cat that she has already been fed. Go ahead and try.

Then the phone rings and it was kissing-boy. He's all chit chat how ya been. I'm sitting here relatively shell shocked because I'd already written him off in my head. Nothing like a big defensive move to not get hurt. He's making plans with me for the weekend and even said he'd gotten my text but he had fallen asleep. Finally I told him that I was surprised he called. He asked me why and all I could think of as a rational answer was 'I'm a girl'. He said girls are dumb. He kind of has a point.

I can not thank you enough for your comments. Especially the May Swenson memories. Um, wasn't she a lesbian Pat? I feel a little like I'm living Elegy 8- To His Mistress Going to Bed by Donne. I guess I can save Donne's Self Love for a little later! Although, I still think I'm being punished and I'm not even Catholic. Hmmm.

2 comments:

Pat said...

Well yes she's a lesbian, but you and your gender studies background shouldn't read anything into that. There's no sexual subtext at work here. Just an affirmation that you're pretty darn cool and should remember that. And clearly kissy boy thinks so too. Yay!

Did I tell you I had to read Eve Sedgwick and Judith Butler for a class this past week? Oy, my head.

Kandy Christensen said...

Thanks ;)

I was thinking about Judith Butler and performing gender this morning on my way to work. God knows why. It does make your head hurt, but in a good way!!