First I would like to say thank you. A thousand times thank you to all of you who have supported me, distracted me and shared your experiences with me. My grandfather passed away today. He was eighty one years old but nobody at the hospital could believe that I was his granddaughter. They all thought I was his daughter. My grandfather was a gentleman. I never once in my life heard him swear, even when I chopped off my toe. I can tell you my grandmother swore a lot-at him! My mother once said that he never said he loved her. I thought about that over the years, and while my grandfather never once told me he loved me I simply knew it. I knew it every time he checked my oil, helped me move (I can't even count the number of times he showed up with his big diesel pick up to help me move), took me for a boat ride, advised me on something mechanical that I had no clue about or simply told me I was an idiot for getting in a car accident (his way of saying I love you). There really was no need because he always tried to help me in his own way and I knew I was his favorite grandchild. I mean really, how could I not be?!
So, it is with an aching heart that I say farewell to a man who was honorable, loyal, respectful and oh so kind. He also could be a ridiculously stubborn s.o.b., but heh, where do you think I get it from?!
I am grateful to have had him in my life for so long and so very grateful to have you as my friends. I am also terribly glad that many of you had the opportunity to take a boat ride with him.
So, it is with an aching heart that I say farewell to a man who was honorable, loyal, respectful and oh so kind. He also could be a ridiculously stubborn s.o.b., but heh, where do you think I get it from?!
I am grateful to have had him in my life for so long and so very grateful to have you as my friends. I am also terribly glad that many of you had the opportunity to take a boat ride with him.
2 comments:
And every time he showed you that he loved you, I am 100% sure that he had that little smile and that twinkle in his eye.
You are truly blessed to have had such a wonderful man in your life for so long; and I feel blessed to have have known him. Thank you, Kandy, for sharing him with all of your friends (even though he got great joy out of dumping me when he would take me water skiing. I can see him now, turning the boat around to come pick me up and I'd say,"You dumped me on purpose" and he'd have that little smile and just say "yep")!
Oh Kandy I'm speechless, my heart aches for you so much!
I know he's in a happy place now and not suffering in any way. Probably up there collecting all sorts of magical things and tinkering and helping people out as he did so much.
You loved him so much and he loved you right back!! Some day you'll be reunited but for now you must live with the happy memories you had and know he's at peace
My grandmother always said it's a 'happy miss'... so keep your head held high and hold his memory alive...
xxxx
Post a Comment