Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Love. True Love.


I am not high maintenance. Yes, I know some of you just laughed and possibly snorted coffee out of your nose, but overall I am not high maintenance. I can be challenging, difficult, angry, short-tempered and a nasty bitch, but usually that is when I am hungry. Feed me and life is better for you and I. I am kind of like a Gremlin. There are certain rules that you better follow and if you don’t then Mohawk the evil Gremlin will escape and wreak havoc on your life.

I have been having difficulties in the relationship department because Flirty-boy is not a very good boyfriend. He is a great friend and also quite delightful in another department (wink wink), but overall as a boyfriend-he kind of sucks.

Here is one example. A couple of weeks ago I saw that the Princess Bride was playing on Valentine’s Day at the Music Box and flirty-boy and I decided it was a date. Then he got tickets to see another movie that same night (he gets free tickets every week) and asked if I wanted to go see that. He said he would be happy to see either movie, and I said emphatically Princess Bride. Then he brings it up again and I told him with all that was going on I really needed to see the Princess Bride. Part of me was thinking what part of Princess Bride do you not understand?!

Then Valentine’s Day comes and we go to the movie and well, there are no other plans. He mentions going home and making some pasta, but thankfully we passed a Mexican restaurant and stopped there. The restaurant, Frida’s on Southport, was a lovely surprise, and the food was amazing. Then the bill comes and I reach for my wallet and give him all of the cash that is in my wallet. He takes it.

Now, let me say that normally we split the bill, but I think there are a couple of occasions where it is appropriate for the gentleman to pay. The first would be on the first date (oh, right, we never had one of those-no, not bitter at all!) the second would be Valentine’s day and the third would be an anniversary dinner. Plus hello- it was Mexican, not a five course meal at Moto.

I know that right now I have a lot going on. I also have to recognize that today is the anniversary of dead ex-boyfriend’s death and I may be a wee bit emotional. It is just I want a little bit more and I do not know if he is capable of giving it.

Then I saw this quote today and it kind of struck a chord:
"Unless it's mad, passionate, extraordinary love, it's a waste of your time. There are too many mediocre things in life. Love shouldn't be one of them." 
- Dream for an Insomniac
 


1 comment:

Cora and CW said...

"Unless it's mad, passionate, extraordinary love, it's a waste of your time. There are too many mediocre things in life. Love shouldn't be one of them." 
- Dream for an Insomniac

Love this quote... do wonder sometimes how much love can be mad, passionate and extraordinary ... think it evolves over time to become different things

If you have time away from him do you miss him? If the answer is yes I'd say there is something there and if not, well then maybe worth some consideration...