Tuesday, July 31, 2007

It's dark

No, really, it is dark! I've been moved back into my old office and I hate the overhead florescent lights so I have some lamps which makes it cosy, but dark. In my other office I had a window. Sigh. I can't believe they moved me back down here. The weirdest thing is there are so many ghosts. It is strange to be down here but all of the people who used to work with me are gone. I'm glad for them but it is a little lonely. Let me rephrase that-it is very lonely. I'm isolated here and I'm sad to leave behind the relationships I started on the other floor (something I'm not very good at). I also have to leave my door closed in hopes that unwanted people will think I'm not here and leave me alone. I need to practice saying, I'm busy right now but you can make an appointment. I can't get sucked into circular arguments. Let me rephrase that, I will not get sucked into pointless circular arguments. I think I'm afraid that people will forget that I exist since I'm tucked away.

I found out today that some one's mother died and because of the war they weren't able to go home and see her before she died. That just made me immensely sad, mad and frustrated. People can't live their lives because of all of this...nonsense. I suppose I wouldn't call it nonsense if I was fighting for what I believed in. But this gentleman is the sweetest and smartest person I've met and he didn't ask for this.

I was watching Buffy last night and it was the episode where her mother dies and I was blown away at how well it was shot and how they handled it. Needless to say I cried. I meant to go home and cook a frittata so I would have some breakfast for the week and do some cleaning, but instead I laid on the couch. It was a rough night. This move has hit me pretty hard, plus Sheska has left and so I have the house to myself. It just seems strange. I'm going to try and get all of the things I didn't get done last night done tonight.

I did manage to sew a purse as a gift for a friend. It is supposed to have a flower that is hot-glue gunned to it and I think I'm going to leave the flower off. It doesn't make sense to me to glue it and it would be a bit difficult to sew it on. Maybe I'll make the flower into a pin. The purse is from Amy Butler's In Stitches and it looks great. My only complaint is you are supposed to use quilting batting as the lining, but it doesn't give it near enough stiffness and so it is a bit floppy. Purses (and other things!) shouldn't be floppy. I would probably stick some extra stiff lining in there if I make it again to firm it up a bit. I used a bark cloth curtain I had bought ages ago for the fabric and it is gorgeous. I can't believe how expensive that stuff is these days.

It was great fun having Carey visit. As she mentioned in her blog the Chicago Antique fair was kind of bleh. There wasn't nearly enough exciting stuff to look for. Even booths that had jewelry all mixed together in a tangle were selling things at way too high of a price. I did find a couple of gifts for other people, but except for a pillow case (I have a weakness for linens) and a scarf for myself that was it. Not one thing, even the jewelry, had to come home with me. I guess I need to go up to Wisconsin and do some antiquing.

I'm going to be limiting my social engagements over the next month so I can study for my English exam. I've been having a lot of fun, but I haven't been getting nearly enough studying done. It doesn't help that I had a mini-meltdown last night when I should have been studying.

There is an article in the Washington Post about the new Jane Austen movie (which is barely based in fact) but it didn't help that the article stated some ridiculous things. My favorite is when she describes a scene with Jane and her love "Frenching" in the courtyard. You just don't use Frenching to describe Jane Austen kissing. She may have some hidden depths, but good god woman at least use proper English. Yeesh.

2 comments:

Carey said...

I think you should put a sign on your door that says, "Kandy is only available by appointment, please call 888-8888 to set an appointment, Thank you!" I think I cried at that Buffy episode as well. It makes sense in the long run of the show, but it sucked for Buffy!

Kandy Christensen said...

Maybe if I'm really quiet and keep my door shut they won't know I'm here!! Oh the crying got worse at the end of the season.