We read Djuna Barnes' Nightwood for class last night. It is a very lyrical and difficult book to read and the subject matter is not happy and uplifting. It is basically about three people (a man and two women) who's lives are affected by their love for the primary character, Robin. By the end of the book Robin is barking like a dog and has, for lack of a better word, snapped. One of her lover's, Nora, makes a comment about how she used to follow Robin on her drunken escapades and how Robin's other jilted lover's would come to her and commiserate about their love for Robin and I had a scary sense of de javu. This has happened to me before because Kindis cheated on me all the time and there were a couple of times where the girls would meet me and we would become almost friends. Yes, it was very, very messy. I 'got' Robin on a very different level because I had dated her. So, the teacher asks about a scene where Nora loses control and slaps Robin and she asks why Robin then gives Nora what she wants, which is basically to stay home with her. The one guy in class says, well she was a crazy drunk. No, that wasn't it at all because Robin ran on pure primitive instinct and in that one moment Nora lost control and Robin could respect that. Plus there is something about that maddening passionate love and things get all mixed up and topsy turvy. I think I now understand my old relationship and its complexities with some time and distance. I do not recommend such a relationship but there is something addictive about being under someone else's skin and knowing them in such an intimate way. I don't know if I'll ever have that again and in a way I don't want it because it is exhausting!
Speaking of finding love I finally did it and thanks to a co-worker's suggestion I am kitschylitgirl. I love kitsch. I think in a way some of what the current craft movement is doing falls under kitsch. I have an appreciation for fine art but really day to day give me kitsch. The lit is for literature because really that is a part of what defines me. If tomorrow I hate the name I can change it, but for now I think it sums me up just fine because I am a mixture of high and low.
That is as far as I got though and I have to write up my favorites, etc. I don't know what my favorite color is. Baby steps.
1 comment:
I have tagged you!! This means you need to post and list 7 fun facts about you. I picked up Craft Inc and the Amy Butler book this weekend, can't wait to read them.
Post a Comment