Monday, October 01, 2007

Ruffles gone awry

I had the magnificent idea of adding a ruffle to the bottom of a jean skirt that I had made out of a pair of worn capris. I was so proud of myself because I made the ruffle, attached it to the skirt, slid said jean skirt on and then could not walk. That would be partly because with the ruffle there was no give to the fabric and I literally could not walk and because I was laughing too hard. Imagine a jean skirt that is a bit of a pencil skirt, think naughty secretary, now add a ruffle. Nope, not happening. I was about to give up and just trash the project when I realized I can simply add the brown fabric (which I adore more and more) with a box pleat in front and a simple small slit up the back for mobility's sake. Let's hope that works. I think as I get older I'm a little more willing to mess up when sewing. I don't expect perfection from myself and I know that if it doesn't work I can rip out the seams and try again. If only life would give such an easy do over.

I went with a friend to see The Sparrow on Saturday night and it was really good. I am not a theater critic by any stretch of the imagination but the way they used the physical space, the dancing (yes there was dancing, including a dodge ball dance), the suspension of disbelief and even the sound effects were very thoughtful and well done. Instead of distracting from the story, which sometimes special effects can do, everything added another layer to the story. We had seats right in front which helped because we heard some lines that often the rest of the audience did not hear but it felt a little too close to the action. Thank goodness they did not request any audience participation. It was a very intriguing show and it still has me thinking about it today.

Instead of going to the gym on Sunday my gym buddy took me to Irving Park and the lake and we did about a 2 1/2 mile walk along the lake. It was a little warm out but it was gorgeous. The view of the city was spendid and there were sailboats, sigh. I don't get out on the lake as much as I would like to and it was a great reminder of why I love this city. I almost don't want to tell any one but this stretch of the lake wasn't over populated and full of perfectly toned bodies so I felt quite comfortable. I think next weekend we are going to get in the pool because my knee has been bugging me and my friend's ankle has been bothering her. I haven't swam laps in so long I am not sure if I remember how. I know there will be a bit of a re-learning curve much like getting back on the treadmill or trying to do yoga again, so I will have to remember that when I'm floundering in the water. Too bad there aren't any cute life guards on duty.

I was talking to someone over the weekend and I don't have any guy friends. I used to have a ton of male friends all through college and then even after. Once I moved to Wisconsin there just weren't that many men in my life and there haven't been any since. I think all of my female friends are wonderful and I wouldn't trade them for the world, but now and then it would be nice to hang out with some guys without there being any ulterior motives.

2 comments:

Carey said...

I hope the swimming goes well. I have been doing laps in my mind for a few months now. I should actually go to the gym and do it.

Kandy Christensen said...

I used to sing while I swam, well in my head at least. I wish they had underwater ipods. Get back in the pool! I'll let you know how it goes.