Thursday, October 13, 2011

Sewing

I recently read a cheesy romance novel (you know I can't resist them) by Linda Lael Miller and the heroine was a seamstress. You may also be wondering why I was reading a Linda Lael Miller book about modern day cowboys and my response would be my mother. We share a kindle account and so there are genres that I occasionally end up reading that I would normally not read within the cheesy romance category. The heroine talked about how sewing was an integral part of herself. She created fabulous one of a kind pieces to sell. The other characters in the book responded positively to her sewing efforts. The book made me feel, I don't know, validated for having such joy in sewing. Being able to create things has always been a part of my life. I started sewing when I was seven and I never stopped. My skills have definitely increased and I have been taking on more and more difficult projects. The only downfall is that sewing is time consuming. I ran into a friend who I used to work with at Cracker Jax almost ten years ago when I was out in DeKalb last weekend. She introduced me to her family, including her daughter, who was wearing a dress she sewed. She said the only reason she had been able to make the dress is because I told her, once up on a time, that all she had to do was sit down at the machine and sew. She immediately asked me if I was still sewing and if I was on Etsy. I had completely forgotten that I used to make skirts for her to sell at her store in Dixon. It was as if a spark was ignited within me. I could make things to sell. I have been toying with the idea, but the problem has always been that sewing, as I mentioned before, is time consuming. I have a couple of ideas percolating that I think I will pursue. I think in the next couple of weeks a new venture in life will unfold.

No comments: