I was watching an episode of Criminal Minds and it really struck a chord with me. The opening scene is Penelope (who is blond, quirky, buxom and a bit of a whiz with computers) entering a coffee store, getting her usual and on her way out assisting a guy with his computer. The guy was gorgeous. You know the type--blue eyes, chiseled jaw and looks good in a dress shirt. He invites her to lunch as a thanks and she gives him her number. She tells a colleague later that she thought it was odd that some gorgeous guy asked her out and he basically told her how to handle the situation. She, rightfully so, gets pissed off and when the guy calls (lunch is now a dinner invite) she goes out with him. After dinner he walks her to her door and when he calls her name after he starts to walk away you think, oh he's going to kiss her, instead he pulls out a gun and shoots her.
Notwithstanding the shock of the violence, what is so telling about this episode is that a fat girl can't believe that a cute guy asks her out. Of course he could only want something from her. In this case it ends up that Penelope has some information that he does not want others to know, but still it does not mean that the fat girl should get shot. I got it when she said to her friend that guys like him don't look at girls like her. That it always takes a little extra time before they realize that she has a little something going on that is deeper then just beauty. I get it that she is uncomfortable and self conscious. I get that she questions why he asked her out, except did they really have to go there?
I have had people say that Penelope reminds them a bit of me. I'll take that as a complement because she is vivacious, wicked smart, has a quirky sense of humor, a rapid fire snarky response for any situation, she dresses in a cool manner and oh, did I mention she's smart. She also has an amazing rack and curvy hips. Yet, when a cute guy asks her out she feels the need to doubt herself and then the show has the cute guy shoot her. That can be taken two ways, 1) trust your instincts and 2) cute guys don't ask fat girls out unless they want something.
Notwithstanding the shock of the violence, what is so telling about this episode is that a fat girl can't believe that a cute guy asks her out. Of course he could only want something from her. In this case it ends up that Penelope has some information that he does not want others to know, but still it does not mean that the fat girl should get shot. I got it when she said to her friend that guys like him don't look at girls like her. That it always takes a little extra time before they realize that she has a little something going on that is deeper then just beauty. I get it that she is uncomfortable and self conscious. I get that she questions why he asked her out, except did they really have to go there?
I have had people say that Penelope reminds them a bit of me. I'll take that as a complement because she is vivacious, wicked smart, has a quirky sense of humor, a rapid fire snarky response for any situation, she dresses in a cool manner and oh, did I mention she's smart. She also has an amazing rack and curvy hips. Yet, when a cute guy asks her out she feels the need to doubt herself and then the show has the cute guy shoot her. That can be taken two ways, 1) trust your instincts and 2) cute guys don't ask fat girls out unless they want something.
No comments:
Post a Comment