Monday, August 13, 2007

Life goes on

My houseguest was a prince this weekend. I can totally see why my friend married him. He took me out to dinner Friday night. We went to Francesca Forno's and I had my favorite salad ever. Who knew a poached egg in a salad could be so tasty. Then he took me to Target Saturday night, even though I tried to resist. And then he took me out for brunch on Sunday. It was hard though to just let someone be nice to me. My goodness how ridiculous does that sound, but it is true. I'm so used to being the care giver that when someone does me a kindness it makes me uncomfortable. On the flip side it also means I do not take people for granted. At least I hope I don't. We swung by the farmers market on the way home and I got some flowers that are wafting their scent throughout the apartment. I also bought some blueberries and mixed those with a bit of sugar and cooked them and then mixed them with fat free greek yogurt in the ice cream machine. I got the recipe from another food bloggers site and it is tasty. It might be one of my favorites because it is a bit tart from the greek yogurt and relatively healthy (compared to making real ice cream with all of the heavy cream and egg yolks).

I went out for a couple of drinks yesterday for a friends birthday and had a fun time. Most everyone had left (and thrown some money on the table for their drinks) by the time the bill came. When we went to pay we were in shock because we had more then enough money but three of us hadn't even paid yet. My beer was $3. I couldn't quite fathom it. I got home and made a chick pea salad with some red onion, tomatoes, lemon juice, olive oil and a bit of feta tossed it. I love summer farmers markets and the meals that can be made from them. I then finished watching the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice. Oh Mr. Darcy. I also ate birthday cake with a ton of frosting. In fact I ate someone else's frosting too just so you don't think that I'm being a saint about the food.

I did a lot of studying this weekend. I didn't get quite as far as I wished but I made a big dent. If I keep plugging away I think I will be ok. The panicked feeling has subsided a bit. I am also taling as if Mr. Darcy may come and pay a call on me in the parlor of my estate. I need to walk to the village and get a new ribbon for my bonnet.

The ex-boy had some mail at the house and so I called him Friday, wished him happy birthday and told him abou the letter from the lawyer. He stopped by the house and really there was nothing. No anxiety, no cravings, no what have I done or recriminations, nothing. He went into a rant about how he still can't get the car because he couldn't find what he needed in the stuff I had packed, and then it was the currency exchanges fault, and then he couldn't find the key, etc, etc and he ranted on. I wished him luck getting the car and closed the door. Everything was someone else's fault and not his, as usual. My guest had also shown up by that time and offered to step out for a bit while the ex-boy was still there, but there was really no reason because there was nothing to be said.

1 comment:

Carey said...

An ice cream trick that I heard on Martha Stewart radio, is to put a little jam into the base when you are cooking it. The pectin thickens the ice cream and helps to prevent the formation of ice crystals. You need the extra help when you aren't using a ton of eggs and using milk instead of cream or half and half. SuperTarget is open here now, and that is going to be a dangerous place! They do have organic cotton baby onesies though!