I met with my study group last night to discuss Much Ado About Nothing, but you could tell none of us were on track. We were easily distracted by things, especially words like "cuckolding" or "by my troth". I'm going to bring that phrase back into the common vernacular. Along with 'wolde nolde' (Old English past tense of willy nilly). By my troth I will.
We think we have to find a common theme among all of the texts we are reading for the exam. It was somewhat easy for us to compare Benedick and Beatrice to Mr. Darcy (sigh) and Elizabeth, but how to pull in John Donne? I was looking through my notes from our last study session and stumbled across this phrase, "metaphysical orgasm". Don't we all have those? Ironically studying for this test has been the most fun I've had in the three years I've been taking classes for my MA. It is so refreshing to sit down with a group of intelligent women and and feel free throw out ideas, pick up other peoples ideas (or have them picked up), smooth them out and add to them. Granted there is also chocolate and much giggling and sighing but we have witty and fun conversation that I have sorely missed in class.
When I originally came to work here after finishing my BA at UIC I shared an office with another woman. We were around the same age and co-existed peacefully for two years. Then I got promoted and I moved into the office next door. Then it was brilliant because I had my own office. I stayed here for another year and then with my last promotion I was moved up to the office with the window. Now I am back in this office and I found out today the person who shall not be named is returning today. What is it that Harry Potter said to the Dementors because that is what I need to be able to say to D?
Carey- that is a great idea. I have some errands to run over lunch (partly just to get out of the office) and I'll swing by Sears and see what I can find. I also think this office has a mold, or something in the walls problem, because I had horrible allergies and then I was fine when I moved upstairs. Now I'm sneezing my head off again. I really miss having Fields up the street and Macy's is just impossible.
I also wanted to say that I love coming by and reading everyone's comments. It is fun to know that you are reading!
My head is in a bit of a fog today so I don't think I am going to manage to get much done. Oh well.
No comments:
Post a Comment