Thursday, August 23, 2007

melting

I've been trying to pretend that my name is actually Miss Scarlet and I'm wearing a sun hat and some kind gentleman is bringing me iced tea and pound cake under the poplar tree. My reality is it is hot and humid. I've been trying to think that I am Southern and that it is acceptable to walk a bit slower when the heat is dragging you down. It literally is heavy. It also doesn't help that I am perpetually drenched in sweat. Ick. Now there are tornado warnings in the city. In the city. There aren't supposed to be tornados here. I'm sure someone has disproved that, but still, in my mind there are no tornados in the city. I have to meet with my study group tonight so hopefully by the time I have to head home on the f&#*!@^ blue line the storm clouds will have blown over.

I called my mom the other day to wish her happy birthday. Almost immediately after I hung up she called me back in a panic because my name was showing up on caller id as the ex-boys'. I'm guessing when they finally switched his phone over to his own plan that there was a mistake made. So, I called to get it fixed and I kind of liked the idea of not having my last name show up and so I asked her if we could leave it blank and that wasn't possible. I call my mom the next day and she tells me my name is showing up on caller id as candy candy. I'm so leaving it that way. I did tell her to warn my grandma that it was in fact me calling and not a hooker.

Operation boudoir is almost complete. I love having house guests because they take me shopping ;). I bought a bathroom cabinet because it was the only thing tall enough to match my other night stand. Granted my other nightstand is a 1920's Singer sewing machine. My bed is tall and I like it that way but all the nightstands are short. Not that I have anything against short people! Thankfully Carey was there to keep track of all of the pieces (wood dowels, screws and other stuff) because I would have had them strewn across the living room. I'm sure LK would have then absconded with some of the screws. She also helped me screw in the legs because by then I was tired. I should probably ask for a drill for xmas. Just swapping out the ikea metal drawers that were the wrong size with this cabinet has made the room look more put together. Since most of my jewelry was in the ikea drawers we went to the Container Store and I bought some dividers to put everything in one of my dresser drawers.

I swung through Macy's after having lunch with a friend and saw they had sheets on sale. I debated purchasing anything from Macy's but then realized it is the only department store and I need one of those. It is relatively easy for me to go over my lunchbreak and pick up what I need. Carsons closed and Sears just sucks (even though I keep trying them). I went over lunch today to pick up some Martha Stewart sheets but I decided to wander through the place first. I managed to find a 400 thread count set (with 4 pillow cases-4!) for even less then I was going to pay for a set of the Martha Stewart 360 count sheets. That was easy. I kept wandering and found a pillow on sale. I have had a heck of a time finding a new pillow. My old one was at least two years over due for replacement and I bought a new pillow from Target. Too big. Then I bought another new pillow from Target. Too firm. Yes I am the princess and the pea, I acknowledge it. The pillow on sale was almost exactly like the one I had gotten rid of, except new and shiny. Sold. The next stop was mattress pads because mine was ripped up and it needed replacing. It was also a little threadbare and you could feel the coils for the electric mattress pad through it. I found a mattress pad with a nice top on sale too. Now I have two big bags of stuff to carry home. Oh, and the Macy bags are horrible. They are just cheap plastic and they take a strip of tape that has paper in the middle and make a handle. When you walk all the paper wears off and you are left holding sticky tape. Lovely.

I can't wait for my mom to come so I can hang my art and my new curtains (after I sew them of course!).

There is tons more but it will have to wait for another day.

No comments: