I feel naked. Seventy degrees is too hot to wear tights. It just is. I have this experience every year so I am not sure why it is novel to me. Wearing a skirt without tights just makes a girl feel kind of exposed. Yes, I am wearing underwear. Can I just say again that it is seventy degrees out. The sun is shining across the street from my office window (I do not get any sun in my office, but I can't complain because I have a window) and my tulips are tuliping and life is all fuzzy bunnies.
Um, hello crazy running people, why did you not tell me how hard it is to run outside. It is hard. Gym buddy and I went running by the lake at Montrose and holy guacamole, the wind, the terrain, the wind, and did I mention the wind. We did six sets of walk five minutes, run two minutes and then five sets of sprint 30 seconds and then walk 30 seconds. I managed to do the whole thing except the last 15 seconds of sprinting. At that point the desire to breath became more important then moving my legs in some bizarre approximation of speed. My Gym Buddy pointed out that we were probably going at about 5.5 on the treadmill for the first set, which explained the fact that I wanted to die. I've been doing about 4.8 and then a sprint for me was 5.2! I slowed it down a bit for the next set and managed to pick up the pace for a couple more of the sets. The sprinting was fun. It felt real good to just stretch out my legs.
I'm a little sore today but I feel pretty good. Going to the lake was a good indicator of how far I had come. Last fall gym buddy would make me do short jogs and they had to have been only about 15 second spurts. Now I'm managing to keep moving for longer periods, rest and repeat. I am still envious of you all who can run marathons, but I'm starting to get a really good sense of the dedication it takes. I think too a bit of it is just mental. The movie Fat Boy Run illustrated the wall quite well! How many years did I tell myself that I could not run. Pshaw, me, running, why no, pass the mint julep. My, how times have changed.
1 comment:
LOL, yes- running outside is not like running on a treadmill. But the lake is the best place to run! It's so beautiful (not to mention the hot boys), that you forget the pain you are in. Treadmill is easier, obviously, because it is propelling you forward, you just need to keep you feet going at the same pace. That's awesome though that you are running outside. You just have to keep pushing yourself to go a little further each week. I'll tell you what motivates me- signing up to run the marathon costs $110.00! That's money that I don't want to be throwing away!
Hope to see you soon
Post a Comment