Wednesday, April 02, 2008

The road not taken*

This is a hard one because as much as I agree with Dan, I'm also agreeing with akg. There are sort of two camps on this one. I've had a few people say, no, no way, no how. They point out that he is coming back after dating some other girl and I deserve more. I agree I do deserve more, except, for the list. I wrote up the list of things I want/deserve in a guy and he hits a whole heck of a lot of the desirable items on that list. On the other hand, I talked to some friends who've been through on-line dating and encountered this before. They said that this isn't that uncommon and it is kind of the nature of the beast.

Another point is that this is an opportunity for growth. I've already had to stretch emotionally through the experience of, albeit shortly, dating him. Maybe I am supposed to learn something further from this. He called and said coffee. I may be assuming he is interested in dating. Initially I wanted this to be about dating, and I did not want a friend, but what if friendship is offered. Do I reject that because I want something more (between the sheets!)? I do not have many men in my life and really, they can be useful! Um, what I meant to say was, they offer a different perspective.

Granted, I could just go around and keep asking people what to do until one of them tells me what I want to hear! So far that has not happened. Right now I'm going to try not to jump to conclusions. Who knows, he may never call again. If so, I may shake my fist at the sky and say, "Why God, Why?".

Actually, it is time to have a house party thanks for inviting yourself! First I have to finish cleaning up the house. Remind me not to try to cook meat this time. I think it would be best to leave that to somebody else.

*Yes, I was referring to the Robert Frost poem we were probably all subjected to in high school.

3 comments:

Pat said...

Why not give him a second chance? Yes, he did something kind of stupid, but who hasn't been distracted from something real by something shiny that's dangling in front of them? (You'd be the something real in this scenario, darling.) I know you're fragile, but you won't grow stronger unless you exercise those emotional muscles. Now, if he does this again he's toast. Just my thoughts ...

Carey said...

Honestly, I don't think you should give him another thought. If he thought someone was better than you once (and there is no one better than you), whose to say he won't do it again?

Dan said...

Thank you Carey! Finally someone that agrees with me!