Friday, April 11, 2008

Surfing

One of the things my food therapist has talked to me about is urge surfing. Basically when you have an overwhelming craving, that feeling of, oh my god if I don't stuff my head in a vat of frosting now I am going to seriously die, you turn to something else. If after a set amount of time, which you are supposed to negotiate with yourself in the midst of crazed craving, then you give in to the urge.

Today was not a food craving, but the urge to find a very sharp implement and lay waste to all around me. I reached the point of I can not handle any more demands, not just on my time, but the emotional demands. I vented for a moment to a co-worker who gave me a hug, which was actually great. I was going to go and get coffee, but I did not need coffee. Instead I went and bought myself a bunch of white and pink tulips. Ironically I am wearing a pink and white shirt today, which is another gym buddy cast-off. I then took a bunch of the flowers for myself and put them in a vase and I divided up the rest to share with some other people, including the person who gave me the hug. I felt much better. At least until I got another demanding email. Then I went and got sushi because that makes me happy. I'm telling you I better not get any more emails because I am going to have to go and buy shoes next!

No comments: