Monday, February 08, 2010

Calling Captain Obvious

There was an event on domestic violence and I really wanted to be supportive so I went. They showed clips from the movie "Lucky Days" (which has not yet been released) and the actress, Angelica Torn, who wrote and starred in the film was there.An hour and a half and a couple of conversations about rape and domestic violence later and I was a quivering bundle of nerves. I do not know what I expected from this event, but what I got was definitely not what I needed. There were some positive conversations and the audience was definitely sensitive to the material, but I am still not in a place where I can handle this. I may never be in a place where I can handle a public conversation about domestic violence or rape.

On the flip side I am glad that there can be a dialogue about this. I'm just not ready to chat.

1 comment:

Carey said...

I think it was an amazing step just to go to the event, and you should be proud of yourself.