Friday, February 26, 2010

Restraint

While yesterday's post was all about excess, today's post is about restraint. I went to dinner last night at Las Tablas, which is a Columbian steak house. It had mixed reviews, but was really tasty (plus our waiter was cute). Granted it is not the first place one would think to go if you were say, a vegetarian, but they had some very good veggie options. We started out with some melty cheese and guava paste. MMmmm guava. The meat eaters got some chunk o' sausage and a corn cake. Everyone else had meat for dinner and you would have thought they were rabid wolves by the way they wolfed it down. My guess is that meant it was good. I had the vegetarian platter and it came with a big salad that I tossed with chimichurra salsa, along with some plantains, yucca, potatoes and red beans and rice. It was half price sangria, but I only had one drink. I ate my salad, nibbled my yucca, had a bite of plantain and some red beans and rice and I was done. I'd eaten the cheesy appetizer, filled up on salad and was full. I even skipped desert.

I had a fabulous meal with equally fabulous friends. I felt like I had indulged, but I did not feel ill. I also got to drive Dan's mini home, which is soooo much fun.

This week I've been a bit anxious at work. I've been eating healthy and well, but I have been having a little sweet something in the afternoon. One would think that is counter intuitive to losing weight, but I find if I indulge a little bit, then I don't eat a whole can of frosting, which I can do. I've finally regrouped from my excesses of Valentine's day weekend and last weekend. I'm going to the gym tonight for a cardio sculpt class and I'll go to Zumba tomorrow. I really do adore my Zumba class. I do not mean to sound like I regret my excesses (well maybe the part where I accosted some random guy), but I want to learn how to enjoy life without going completely overboard. A little overboard is good, but I'd prefer not to fall out of the boat.

2 comments:

Carey said...

Overboard is what happens when you only let yourself out of the boat once in awhile. Get out of the boat on a more more regular basis and you will know when you are on an even keel. :)

Kandy Christensen said...

I think I'm trapped on the ship!! Good point Carey. I'm learning.