Well, not quite last night. In fact now it was almost a week ago. Any who, I went to a fundraising event for Heartland Alliance which was held at some really nice art gallery on Illinois (of course I don't remember the name of it, what are you thinking). I walk in the door and immediately someone hands me a glass of champagne. That was nice. I wandered around sipping my champagne contemplating art. There were a couple of pieces I liked, but there was one that really caught my eye. Then the internal debate started. Should I or shouldn't I? I nibbled a few munchies (emphasis on few) had a peartini, which is fabulous by the way. Then I wandered past the art again and no one had put a bid on my painting. Of course by that point it was mine. I had a dirty martini. Oh man was that good I should have another, so I did. Some lady bid on my painting and I outbid her. While I sipped my second martini of the night, fine, my third martini (who's counting), I stalked my painting. Two minutes before the close some guy is holding the clip board and outbids me. I'm standing there waiting to outbid him, but he won't put the clipboard down. Thankfully a friend at the beginning of the evening made me set a limit on what I was going to pay for my painting. Good friend. I walk up to this gentlemen wearing a nice suit and rather debonair looking and I pointed out that the artist shared my name and it was meant to be. Plus I kind of thought the woman in the painting looked a bit like me. Not that I told him that. He laughed and handed it over. The auction closed and I hugged him thank you. (Found out later he was married and on his second wife). I do not know how but I carried my painting and stowed it safely away in my friends car.
We went to a bar and I ordered a beer that I never drank. I noticed a guy sitting alone and on my way back from the bathroom I stopped and asked if he had a cigarette. I didn't want one, but I needed an opening. Then we chatted a bit and I noticed all of my friends leaving. I scribbled my number on a business card and gave it to him. Of course he did not call. Would you call if some random drunk squealing girl (supposedly I squeal after a few drinks) accosted you?
I also woke up the next morning and saw on my crack berry that I had accidentally called a big muckety muck from work. I was so ashamed by the hugging random guy at charity event, giving random guy phone number and overall squealing that I could not even look to see if I called his cell phone. The crack berry is my work phone so there are a lot of numbers in it. Finally on Tuesday I screwed up enough courage to check and found out that I had called his office phone. I checked with his assistant and there were no odd voice mail messages over the weekend. Phew.
Let's see what this weekend brings.
No comments:
Post a Comment