So, I had another non-date date with flirty boy last night. The night started when I met him at his office around 6:30 and hung out while he finished listening to a song. Since it was a Grateful Dead song I had a couple of minutes and I pulled out my book. Joking ensued, because this is the same book we had discussed last week before going to see a different movie. I tell him that my song request (for a party he is DJ'ing in December) is Punk Rock Girl from The Dead Milkmen. He tells me he will think about it, because after all it is only a request. He thinks he currently only has it on LP and hastens to add looking at my woebegone face that he can get a copy of it, but he still doesn't guarantee he'll play it.
We catch a cab to the theater, he pays. I, truly accidentally, show a little leg exiting the cab. No one else shows up and it is just us. We grab a bite to eat before the movie- he pays. Over dinner more joking and much teasing of me because I can't guess the name of a TV character. I tell him that it isn't fair to make fun of my disability. And what part of "I don't remember names" do you people not seem to understand.
We go to see the movie and I get us popcorn and soda to share. I'm a bit teary eyed, fine, I'm crying, at the end of the movie because it is just so tragic, yet at the same time hopeful. Two people wait 50 years and they finally manage to get together. We sit and watch the credits (he's one of those) and I'm still feeling sad. He tells a couple of jokes and I say, "I'm sad, I just want to wallow a moment" and he laughs and says, "I know". Because he does, know.
We walk to Walgreens so he can get some cash and I weakly joke, "If I were to wait 50 years, I'd be in my 80's." He responds, "Well, with the miracles of science..." and I cut him off and point out he would be dead. We catch separate cabs home.
This morning he jokes with me and combines a phrase from the scary character, that he knows freaks me out, from In the Country of Old Men with the mannerisms of the romantic hero (same actor) from Love in the Time of Cholera. We don't speak the rest of the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment