Monday, February 25, 2008

Beat myself up any

It sounds like a trip to Neo might be in my future. My inner Goth child perks up immediately and my adult self sighs and thinks I'm too cool for such perkiness. This lead to me pulling out my corset that I haven't worn in many many years. I put it on and shi-zam. It does really nice things. Then I got frustrated because it fit, which might sound strange, but it means that it has taken me all of this hard work to get back to where I was. The last time I wore the corset was probably 5 or 6 years ago and it has lain languishing away in my drawer. It is a mixture of happiness that it fits and just this feeling of I'm back at the same place. Except, then I started to think about it, and even when it fit the last time around I was not this strong. I was fit, but I didn't have the strength that I have now. I marvel at these muscles that are starting to pop up. As much as I'd love it to be all puppies and kittens, even as I lost 5 pounds over the last couple of weeks, it is still hard.

I did make it to the gym twice this weekend. Saturday I managed to jog 4 sets for 2 1/2 minutes each (total of 10-whoop whoop) and then I ramped it up for 2 1 minute sets. I jogged for 12 minutes, which is two minutes more then I've done before. I also swam a mile on Sunday. I did one full length of butterfly, something I had not been able to do up until this point. Granted after I swam that length I almost passed out and puked, but heh I did it.

My professor emailed today to say he had fun Saturday. I responded and said I had fun soon and suggested we go see the ice painting at Millennium Park. I haven't heard back from him yet. Rational me says that's cool we are both busy people. Unfortunately crazy me says he hates me, he never wants to see me again. I will just have to play it cool. There is this spectre of the old neurotic me hanging out in the back of my mind whispering in my ear. I'm amazed at the person I am today and the fact that I have such happiness in my life, but I still have to work at counteracting those voices. It helps immensely that you guys have been pointing out the good things because I didn't see they were there until you showed them to me.

1 comment:

Dan said...

When you spoke about how much strength you have now and how you haven't been this strong before, I thought at first you were talking mental strength...and then you mentioned muscles. I think my version of strength applies as well though.

You're up to 12 minutes of running!?! Great job! In Cancun you only ran 8, didn't you? You've increased your running time by 50% in a few weeks. There is still time to sign up for the marathon with Shay and myself.

You should definitely go and see the ice sculpture at Millennium Park. I saw it and it is pretty cool. Of course, I went and saw it alone, not with some smart professor type man.