A repository for random musings, romantic notions, cooking accomplishments (and failures), my latest crafty endeavor and daily life. Note-I do not live on a moor, but adore Wuthering Heights, hence the title.
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
Swimming with the fishies
I don't think it can get much better then a ferry ride across a sparkling blue ocean to La Isla Mujeres to spend hours laying out on a beach. The laying out is only broken by intermittent swims in the salty sweet ocean. To then go and have a couple of beers (figuring out beer was cheaper then water really made drinking much easier), some ridiculously fresh ceviche and a shot of tequila while overlooking the ocean. It just keeps getting better because we ask our waiter where he would recommend going snorkeling and of course he's got a friend. We pile into a little boat and go skittering across the waves to jump overboard into the beautiful briny sea. I put on my mask and stick my head into the water and I don't see any fish. My mask starts to fog up so I pop my head up and clear it and then put my face back in the water and I shriek (Ash- I may have outshrieked even you) because I am literally in a school of fish. We see a huge grouper, a three foot barracuda, a starfish, coral and tons of gorgeous fish. Our guide keeps trying to get us to look in a certain spot and see the sharks but between my fear of the sharks and being bashed against the rocks I back away. Before we know it our sojourn with the fishies is over and we are back in the boat and at the beach again sipping beers. The beach closes around five, which is about the time the sun starts to set, and so we gather up our things and wander through the market. I'm wearing my swim suit, a pair of jean capris and a tank top (something I would never have worn in Chicago). My pants are wet and so I buy a sarong and tie it around my waist and slip off my jeans in the street. We end up having a delicious dinner sitting outside in the balmy air being served by a cute waiter who is just a little skanky, which of course makes him utterly delectable to me. We stop and get some amazing gelato and wander back to the ferry. On the ride home Dan and I are looking up at the stars and talking to the women from Iowa behind us (yes, me, talking to strangers) and I gasp because a shooting star just ran across the sky. I sigh and hug myself tight because it just doesn't get any better then that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment