When I was in high school Rusty Morris and I were dating and we were bored so we went to the mall. What else did you expect us to do, it was Downers Grove for pete's sake. I remember he had broken his arm in a soccer game and so his mom had to drive us in the mini van. The broken arm also meant he was a little less octopus man when we were making out, which I greatly appreciated. I digress. His mother, unprompted by us, was telling the story of how she met his father. What I remember clearly was her saying she asked him how rain was made and he described it to her in detail. She said that she knew then he was the one.
Saturday night we were walking by Wicker Park and I saw the moon hanging low in the sky and stopped and turned. My prof looked at the moon and then looked at me standing there transfixed and told me it was a harvest moon. He then explained exactly what a harvest moon was and why it looked the way it did. I vaguely remember making some sort of comment and I think he thought I was being facetious or that I thought he was mr. smarty pants. I have no idea what I said, and I'm sure the look on my face was odd, because I was thinking about rain.
Ultimately Rusty broke up with me because I wouldn't put out.
1 comment:
Oh Kandy, I hate to do this to you, but being a "farmer" I can't let this description of "harvest moon" go without some correction. I noticed that big, nearly full, and low in the sky moon on Saturday. While it was all those things, it was truly a harvest moon, as we aren't near harvest time. Harvest moons is a full moon that occurs nearest the autumnal equinox. But I get the point of your story and it was very romantic! Don't let this one break up with you because you won't put out! ;-)
Post a Comment