Monday, May 05, 2008

Pretty in pink

I feel like I'm channeling Andie Walsh. What with the grey pants, pink shirt, grey sweater and pearls, and the bobbed reddish hair. I look really good in grey and pink, a color combination I probably have worn only once or twice previously in my life.

A little back story here...When I was sixteen I started dating Kindis. He came with his own pack of friends, some who my friends dated. It was very complex and convoluted. Two of his friends became my, for lack of a better word, guardians. One I even dated for a week when Kindis and I were on again/off again. Don't ever let your children drive a mini van or a van because it is way easy to make out in those types of vehicles. Heck, what am I saying, at that time in my life I'd make out in any vehicle. Hmm, anyways. My freshman year of college these two guardians lived in the other tower of my dorm. I would often spend the night there. Sometimes one would give up his bed and sleep on the floor, other times I'd shove one over and share the bed. I do remember one night that MK was sharing his bed with me and tried to play footsie with me. I pretended to sleep.

Over the years my guardians offered up so much. They would take turns making sure I had someone to walk me home from my night classes. Once, after Kindis and I had a fight MK drew a picture of him with all sorts of implements of torture and I cut and sawed away to my hearts content. They left town and we drifted a part. MK and I last exchanged Christmas cards when I lived in Madison. That feels like a lifetime ago. Now, through the joy of classmates, we've made contact. At the very least I owe him a thank you for keeping me going through some very difficult times. Now, I'm not sure if I'd pretend to sleep.

No comments: